Catherine's Wheel

Thursday, June 29, 2006

It's all about balance

DH has been interstate this week for 4 days, and the two kids really miss him - as do I!

Last night I went to my local S'n'B meet at the Prahran Market, and my 16yo nephew babysat for me - hi Moo! It was a good meet, with around 9 or 10 of us there, but it finished up just before 9pm. As Moo was staying the night, it seemed a waste of a night of freedom to go home so early - almost ungrateful :)

So I popped around to Nic's place , and we spent a good couple of hours chatting about families, what to do with our limited free time and - of course - lots of knitting and crafting.

I got home at a very respectable midnight.

This morning I went down to the supermarket while Moo looked after the kids. It was heaving; why do I always tend to go on pension day?* I was very grateful to not have had the kids with me. Later in the day I thought I'd take the kids to meet DH's plane at 7pm, so I took them down to a beach cafe for fish and chips lunch and a good play in the playground afterwards. It was glorious sitting in the sunshine and knitting while Goose and Dash worked off some energy. It may seem hard to believe, but there were kids running around in T-shirts and bare feet - and we're supposed to be in the middle of winter! The bare feet weren't even blue; it must have been around 17 degrees Celsius and just lovely.

Sorry, but it was too lovely to get my camera out for photos, just take my word for it :D

* Pension cheques in Australia were traditionally always mailed out on Wednesdays to be received on Thursdays, so lots of the pension-collecting members of our community tend to go shopping and run all of their errands on this day. These days I believe it's force of habit, as all pensions are nowadays credited directly to bank accounts on different days.

3 Comments:

  • Glad you put that disclaimer about Pension Day - it has been AT LEAST 10 years since such a thing existed, and for years before that, pensions/benefits were fortnightly, and they paid some one week, and the others, the other.
    Sorry I missed last night - Ken had a chiro appt, and didn't get home till after 6, and claimed that food was required urgently!!
    btw, have a look at ebay 104753742408 and tell me why it wasn't the yarn......

    By Blogger KarenS, at 7:22 am  

  • And a good chat it was too! Thanks ;-P

    By Blogger nikkishell, at 4:58 pm  

  • So sad I missed out- I came home from Adelaide sick, which has developed into a throat and ear infection.
    On the positive side, it's given me an opportunity to take a few days off work and watch Wimbeldon on Foxtel and make some progress on some knitting..

    By Blogger Di, at 1:56 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home