Catherine's Wheel

Friday, July 14, 2006

Anyone Remember Muttley?


Does anyone remember Muttley, the muttering, snickering dog from the Wacky Races cartoon?

I was doing a pretty fair imitation of his cursing and muttering last night, sitting on my couch. The plan had been, with DH in Perth this week, as follows:

5pm Take Dash and Goose to my parents, bath and settle them in
7pm Go to Nichola and Kevin's lounge and have something to eat
8pm Relax with a glass of something and listen to Pat Ashforth and Steve Plummer share their woolly thoughts
11pmish Return to parents and sleep over
Sat am Drop Goose to schoolfriend for the day to attend mutual pirate party
Sat am Drop Dash to brother's place for the day with his cousins and attend pirate storytime at Reading's
Sat am Go to Guild for the day (bliss)
Sat pm Pick up Dash and Goose, home, baths, dinner, bed (for them) and an evening of my choice on TV

I knew this wasn't going to go to plan when Goose woke early Friday morning with a high temperature. She has always spiked a temperature quickly as a baby and hasn't really outgrown it yet. So, no school for her. I hastily arranged an alternative babysitter (16yo nephew) who could come to my place to mind the kids (Hi, Moo!) and went out to buy fish and chips for all of them. So far, so good, until at 7:30 Dash turned to me with his eyes full of tears and uttered the fateful words: "I don't want you to go out tonight", followed by wrapping himself around me and hanging on like a koala in a cyclone.

Tell me, what choice did I have after that?

So, we drove Moo home, dropped in at the Nectar Lounge to at least meet Pat and Steve and get my books autographed and then home to pop the kids into bed, just in time to see Richmond get beaten by Melbourne. At least they're putting up a fight this year.

Good to see that all the usual suspects turned up for the workshop; just a shame we couldn't catch up over a glass of something pleasant.

Maybe I should be offering this up on behalf of Lee Ann.

4 Comments:

  • well you made it for longer than me! Scott and I have had our own high temperatures and the flu this week..

    By Blogger Di, at 7:09 pm  

  • You need to find some over-the-counter medication which knocks the kids out!! Then you can detach kid from leg, administer potion, wait appropriate time, and then go to knitting do! If you can't find a readily available potion at the chemist, go ask your sympathetic doctor for something to knock out the kids, on the pretext that they are waking up and demanding attention every 2 hours during the night, but they are on alternate hours. And you WILL do something at best unchristian, and at worst, illegal, if you don't get some sleep.
    If you don't have a doctor who will do this, let me know - mine will (and did!!)

    By Blogger KarenS, at 12:30 am  

  • Sounds like a good idea, Karen, except that my two belong to the "Fenergan makes me want to party all night long" brigade.

    The overnight sleeping is ok, it's just they want me around cos they feel crap and their dad is interstate; pretty normal behaviour, if I remember my childhood correctly :)

    By Blogger Moorecat, at 7:27 am  

  • I just found your blog by accident. It was nice to have met you but such a shame you couldn't stay longer.

    You probably know by now that we left a CD for you all to look at. I hope it provides some inspiration.

    Pat

    By Blogger pat, at 7:29 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home