Catherine's Wheel

Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Secret Knitting

OK, not quite the same as Secret Pal stuff :)

I'm working on something I can't talk about at present, so I can't show you - yet. Instead, here's a photo of Dash wearing his Elephant Vest:


This photo was taken last year on our trip to the UK. We're in a field near DH's childhood home in South Gloucestershire, where he and his brothers used to go and play. There's a gentle stream through it, it's very peaceful (apart from the constant traffic - not like the old days, apparently) and the kids loved learning to throw rocks into the water. It's like a talisman of DH's past.

Anyway, the vest is from Alice and Jade Starmore's Children's Collection and I knitted it in Jamieson's Shetland 4 ply. I'm really proud of this one, as it was my first foray into Fair Isle in the round and steeking. It was one of the scariest things I've ever done, taking scissors to my knitting. You'd better believe I knitted a sample square and cut that up, first!! I used the crochet steek method, which I found in Meg Swansen's book, "Handkintting". Crochet just seemed to to be a better fit than getting out my sewing machine, although I would have done that without hesitation if the sample steek hadn't held together.

In the interests of equality, I should also show you some knitting I did for Goose. These are her Mermaid socks in Opal yarn, from Lucy Neatby's "Cool Socks, Warm Feet" (altered at Goose's request to be knee-high). I love this book, and this is the second pair I made from it. The first pair was "Crenellated Toe-Up Socks", which were my holiday knitting last year - something actually for me. Maybe one day I'll get a photo up of those.

There's some spinning going on, too, but I can't really talk about that, yet, either. Quite the secretive type, aren't I?

2 Comments:

  • Oooh, you ARE the secretive type! Go on, tell me, i won't tell anyone else...promise!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:53 pm  

  • That vest is really adorable (and so's the little one in the photo!)

    I'm really looking forward to read more about your secret spinning and knitting!

    And thanks for the well-wishes on my blog too! :)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:01 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home