Catherine's Wheel

Thursday, February 01, 2007

Did I Slip ... or Was I Pushed?

WARNING: if I know you, and you've delivered a child in the last 48 hours, and you work with my DH - SPOILER AHEAD!!!

So, I signed up (in my head, anyway) for Knit From Your Stash for 2007, inspired by Wendy Johnson's intentions.

So far, I've been to my LYS (Wool Baa) three times this year, twice for a group meet, once to pick up a needle I needed for the Mermaid jacket. Total yarn purchase? Nil. Zip. Rien. Zero. Nada. Remember, tools don't count.

Yesterday, one of DH's colleagues delivered her first child - a boy. This child is the product of a mixed marriage - in terms of Aussie Rules, that is. We have been to the footy a few times with the new parents, including the last two Grand Finals. They are each passionate about their respective teams. Today I sifted through my stash and patterns, looking for something to make for the new arrival.

Suddenly that ol' lightbulb flashed on in my head, and I found the pattern/recipe I wanted: an EZ pattern for a double-thickness hat, known as the Very Warm Hat, and last published in "The Opinionated Knitter". The reason I wanted this design? I could make each side in one of the teams his parents follow, so which side is seen on the outside will depend on which parent he goes out with. Thanks, I thought it was inspired, too :D

I rang my conscience, Nic (who shall henceforth be known as Jiminy Cricket heehee), who confirmed my belief that breaking the diet to buy the specific colours required for each team was acceptable, giving me a dispensation for this purchase.

Off I went to Wool Baa, and bought some Patons Bluebell in the three colours required. I'd forgotten how nice Patons Bluebell is to knit, although I do remember it as being a crisper crepe than its current incarnation. Nothing more constant than change, I always say!

So, what do the rest of you think? Did I sin? Should I do penance? What form should it take? Answers on the back of a comment (or the back of a coffee scroll), please.

3 Comments:

  • You were definitely pushed. What an inspired gift idea- and it is essential when knitting sporting related attire to get the right colours- no similar match substitutes will suffice!

    By Blogger Di, at 12:53 pm  

  • I've never thought of myself as a small talking insect.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:06 pm  

  • I didn't think buying footy colours was a sin!!

    By Blogger Spinayarn99, at 3:34 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home