Catherine's Wheel

Thursday, November 16, 2006

Sssshh ... Another FO

OK, here it is, dressing for your enjoyment (sounds vaguely tarty, doesn't it?) The ceiling fan is your friend; this dried in about two hours.

The yarn is from Andyle Farms (just outside Melbourne); it's a 2 ply fingering weight Merino. It took less than the 150g skein to make the whole shawl.

I must say, I'm totally smitten by the idea of using ravel cord (machine knitters all nodding in unison sagely here) threaded through the straight edge to - well, get a straight edge. Saves all those scallopy points where you don't really want them.



Unlike this part, where you *do* want it to go all wavy and scallopy. (See, it even sounds like I meant it to do this.)





Here's a better view of the point of the shawl. I think this is the best part of the whole design.

Oh, sorry, haven't I told you what the pattern is yet? It's Seraphim by Miriam Felton, she of the Icarus shawl fame, among others.


I highly recommend Miriam's patterns, not just because they're beautiful designs, but because the presentation is so professional and easy to understand.




Unlike Dash's photographic skills. This is his idea of showing the shawl (and his mother) to advantage.









This is Goose's idea of photography - and Dash's idea of being a good photographer's assistant *sigh*









Maybe I can get Goose to stand still long enough for me to show the drape of the shawl over her shoulders. OK, yes, that is my shadow in the foreground; can't have everything. At least the shawl turned out right.

8 Comments:

  • Wow! Simply gorgeous! I can't believe you've finished it already.

    By Blogger OzKnitter, at 2:23 am  

  • ooohhhh - can't wait to get my shawl patterns & yarn out of storage :-)

    And Ellen approves too.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:52 am  

  • just beautiful - i'm waiting until i finish breastfeeding before i even contemplate lace knitting - well that's my excuse and i'm sticking to it! i'm a slow enough knitter as it is :)

    By Blogger lisette, at 3:18 am  

  • Ooohhh- it's beautiful!

    By Blogger Di, at 1:31 pm  

  • Gorgeous! You making one for me?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:05 pm  

  • It is lovely to look at in the flesh too!

    By Blogger yarnivorous, at 8:28 pm  

  • It's beautiful! I like your idea of blocking on the mattress- I'll have to try it!

    By Blogger spookylana, at 5:15 pm  

  • Lovely, lovely shawl!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:16 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home